The fifth HAQAA Advisory Board (AB) meeting was held last 21-22 March 2018 in Maputo, Mozambique. The event was hosted by the National Council on Quality Assurance in Higher Education (CNAQ) and, aimed to give an update on the revision of the African Standards Guidelines for Quality Assurance in Africa (ASG-QA) and discussion regarding next steps as well as to introduce the proposed methodology for the HAQAA agency external evaluations and consultancy visits.
The meeting started with a welcome from CNAQ representative and the HAQAA Implementing Consortium followed by a welcome speech from Dr. Yohannes Woldetensae of the African Union Commission. Dr. Woldetensae highlighted the different action lines of the Pan African Quality Assurance and Accreditation Framework (PAQAF) and highlighted the importance of the HAQAA Initiative within this framework.
During this gathering, AB member also had the opportunity to get to know current examples of Quality Assurance agency external evaluations in Africa which were presented by Abdou Cissé, programme director of ANAQ-Sup (Senegal) and Hassmik Tortian, Programme Specialist in charge of Higher Education of UNESCO. On the second day, the AB discussed the developments in QA in different African regions presenting the latest developments in quality assurance in their regions and countries and also discussed the refined HAQAA work plan for 2018.
All the delegates readily agreed that HAQAA can contribute by developing a communication strategy and some communication tools that AB members can use to explain it to their constituencies.
Documents & Presentations
- Welcome from AUC and Update on AUC Harmonization and Quality Assurance Initiatives. Presented by Dr. Yohannes Woldetensae Senior Education Expert, African Union Commission
- Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in Higher Education in Africa (ASG-QA). Dr. Rispa A. Odongo, Chair, of ASG-QA Technical Working Group (TWG)
- HAQAA Initiative: Work Plan 2018
- Evaluation des agences d’assurance qualit. Proposition méthodologique du groupe technique Initiative HAQAA, Maputo mars 2018 (FR-EN)
- Changing context of Higher Education: General Trends of Higher Education, Hassmik Tortian (Ms), Division for Policies and Lifelong Learning Systems, UNESCO